From:
Jonathan Navarro <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 Apr 1998 23:11:18 -0500
Harold E. Schumacher, Jr. wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> Ever seen a computer with an 850 meg hard drive that has a Dynamic
> Drive Overlay on it and the hard drive being on a motherboard that
> supports large hard drives?

 That's wild! I saw that once in my cousin's computer. It is a 386 I
 think, an AST computer.

> This person had a new motherboard installed recently and the tech
> just plugged in the hard drive with the DDO still on it.  The
> computer has a ton of problems; not running smoothly at all.  As a
> matter of fact, it won't even completely boot into WIN95.  It says
> "...this program will shut down...".

 I happened the same, it is still using Windows 3.11, I just did an
 Fdisk /mbr with a startup disk. The computer was not booting up,
 and after the fdisk no problems whatsoever.
 It was one of those DDO programs from Seagate or IBM, I think??

> Anyway, she wants to do a total re-format and re-install
  mmmhhh, I love that :) clean systems hehe

> but shouldn't the DDO be taken off? If so, how is that done if she
> doesn't have the software program?  It's a Maxtor drive.

  My understanding is that large drives can be formated in a PC
  with a newer BIOS that supports large HD and then installed in
  the "old" PC and if the HD is supported by the BIOS there is no
  need of the DDO.

  But if the BIOS does not support the HD you will need that
  program, and it needs to wipe your HD to be installed.

  HTH.

  Feel free to e-mail me if you have questions.

   Jonathan Navarro
   System Admin. M.W.F.       ICQ Pagers:
   Clarks Grove, Minnesota    Work: 9057097
   mailto:[log in to unmask]   Home: 7748131