From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Apr 1998 10:49:07 -0800
On  9 Apr 98 at 14:22, Michi Imamura wrote:

> I installed a S3 virge generic card since then.  It works fine.  I
> installed the STB Velocity into my friend's computer and the card
> works fine there.  What is the deal?  It works in someone else's
> machine but not mine?  When I install the STB Velocity in my
> machine, it freezes up with a blank screen after the Windows logo.
> When I reboot it loads to safe mode.

  I assume that you have the same drivers loaded as on your friend's
machine, right?
  What else could be the difference?  Well, there are a couple of
CMOS setup options that might be set differently:  "Allocate IRQ for
PCI video" and "Enable/Disable VGA Palette Snoop".  Particularly, if
the card drivers require an IRQ and this is disabled in the CMOS, it
might produce the kind of symptoms you see.  [And I don't think the
Virge will care about this setting....]

David G