From:
John Chin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Apr 1998 19:18:19 -0400
Jim:

The 486 motherboards I've seen which handle AMD Dx4-120
CPUs (which usually require AMD enhanced settings, and
also handle AMD-DX5-133 CPUs) are the later models which
invariably have 72-pin SIMM memory sockets and PCI. These
will also have 4 ISA and 3 PCI (the older PCI bridges only
allowed 3) expansion slots. I've worked on many such
motherboards.

Of course, Larry Fisk, as the technician on the scene,
will need to consider these issues.

The later 486 motherboards also do LBA. But if DDO is an
issue, Larry can use any method to do a backup/restore
and run Win95 setup again to reconfigure his system.

My advice is never to spend $75 or more to "fix" a 486
system unless the components can migrate to a Pentium
system. There are plenty of working Pentium classic
boards with 75/90/100MHz CPUs which can be bought used
for $75. Anyway, 8MB 72-pin SIMMs are $10, and inexpensive
PCI video cars are $20. So add $40 to the bill if need be.

Regards,

John Chin