From:
Kris Shapar <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Apr 1998 17:00:52 -0500
On  3 Apr 98 about [PCBUILD] Win98 dual monitors, Mark Rode
had this to say:

> Is anyone using the dual monitor option with Win 98 and if so maybe you
> could explain a few things. The way I understand it is you use two separate
> video cards plugged into the same PC with two separate monitors. Is this
> correct?........and then you just go into device manager and load a
> separate set of drivers?

Pretty much correct, except you configure the secondary adapter by
going to Display Properties.

> Do the video cards have to be the same?

Nope -- I'm running this with an ATI AIW and an S3 Virge. In what
follows, I'll talk about a 2-monitor situation, but you can expand
this to as many monitors as your motherboard has PCI slots (multiple
monitors requires PCI cards).

Microsoft has a list of the cards that will work (look in your Beta
Notes file). A PCI card not on that list *might* work, but you'd be
taking a chance in trying to use it. Fortunately the listed cards are
pretty mainstream.

> Do they have to run the same resolution \ color settings ?

No, they're treated as 2 separate monitors for the purposes of setup.

> Is the view expanded or completely separate.....do you see the desktop as a
> bigger view or do you have the desktop on one monitor and some other
> application on the other. Or can you do it either way and if so how do you
> access the view with mouse or keyboard...is this anything like a UNIX console?

Can't speak about UNIX, but on mine, I have an enormous desktop
spread across 2 monitors. If you maximize a program, it will cover
one monitor, not the second one. I usually have a program maximized
on one, say my email, and a program or 2 open and sized on the other
monitor, with some of the Desktop showing, though not always. You can
spread a windows across 2 monitors if you don't maximize it and then
stretch it out manually to as big as you want.

You designate one as "1" and the other monitor as "2" and can arrange
them in different ways in Display properties.

> Do you notice any performance hit?
> Perhaps you can give an example of how you use this feature.

I had some trouble setting it up (I had a flaky network card that
screwed up the hardware detection and caused other problems, I ended
up replacing it with a 3Com and finished the setup). Now I love it! I
can compose email on one screen, browse the Web on another, and still
have space for PowerPoint, Word, or other programs. At first I
thought it would be a toy, but I think my productivity has really
increased because of it, and it's one of the major reasons I'd
consider staying with Win98.

Kris Shapar

          To doubt everything or to believe everything
          are two equally convenient solutions; both
          dispense with the necessity of reflection.

                              - Jules Henri Poincaré