From:
Bob Wright <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Apr 1998 09:33:26 -0700
At 02:42 PM 3/31/98 , you wrote:
>I recently acquired a used Number 9 Reality 772 PCI video card w/4 meg
>vram.  My current system is a TXPro II w/ onboard video that uses 4 megs
> of my memory.
> Has anyone had experience, good or bad, with either video adapter?
> If so, what do you think? Should I disable the onboard and use the PCI?
> Also, does anyone know where I can get the drivers for the Number 9?
> Thanks,
> Casey Marion

The site for Number 9 is:  http://www.nine.com
You can find your drivers there.   A great web site to keep bookmarked
to rapidly find hardware manufacturers on the web, in case you need
manuals or drivers is:   http://www.hardware.com    They maintain
some excellent links.  We also have them listed on PCBUILD's link
page.

As far as onboard video is concerned, although I have not yet used the
TX Pro II board you reference, the board I have been using to build
new systems for the last four months has onboard video and it works
great.   This board is the ASUS SIS97 motherboard.   It can be configured
for 1, 2 or 4mg video using system Ram memory.   This onboard video
has been trouble free in all the systems I have built with the ASUS board.
It does not support advanced 3-D accelerated features, but it works well
with secondary video cards such as PCI Video capture cards and PCI
Television cards.   I know that the early on board video motherboards
were problematic, but if the board has the feature to disable it using
a jumper, you should be alright in case it fails or is not effective for your
use.   Then you can add your Number9 card or some other video card.

But, the ASUS SIS97 chipset provides excellent resolutions and high
refresh rates...  and it is really inexpensive...  *wink*

  Bob