From:
Michele Shoemaker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 29 Mar 1998 16:34:47 -0400
At 10:38 AM 3/29/98 -0500, you wrote:

>You're probably right that livestock who are treated well by their owners
>live better lives than wild animals.  However, factory farms, where most of
>our meat is produced, can be positively hellish.

Anyone who'se ever had the "pleasure" of driving by stockyards can see and
smell the effects of overcrowding. There is particularly brutal example
just west of a small town called Groom in the Texas panhandle. You can
smell it miles away and there are many dead animals lying around. The town
also boast the largest Christian cross in the western hemisphere. I wonder
if there is a connection....

I'm looking forward to the day when I have a large freezer so that I can
contact a local farmer who would ideally not use any modern substances in
rasing and arrange to have my own steer slaughtered. Or when I have land,
buy a calf in the spring let it graze all summer and have it slaughtered in
the fall. It worked for my Celtic ancestors so why not me.

Willow