From:
Liz Pavek <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Mar 1998 11:06:46 -0600
Rick:

I'm pretty sure that  Eskimos eat bones in their dried fish and gnaw them
from the mammals they kill.   They are very practical, and nothing goes to
waste.  When they stew something, they eat it all.  Nature has a way of
making people consume what they need under more primitive conditions, where
people are more in tune with their needs.

We are more prone to pick out bones and other "hard" pieces from our foods,
but they ate pretty much everything edible, and what they don't eat they
utilized in some other way.  And when  we "civilized" people are deficient
in certain nutrients, we begin to overeat in an effort to make up for the
deficiency, whether what we eat contains these nutrients or not.

There are sufficient minerals present in the muscles and blood of the fish
and mammals they consume to prevent bone disease beyond rickets, which
isn't due to mineral insufficiency but a lack of Vitamin D. Rickets was a
problem when they didn't get sufficient liver in their diets.  Many old
Eskimos have bowlegs from rickets, but I don't think osteoporosis was so
much of a problem until they began to eat the SAD.

Liz