From:
Buji Kern <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Mar 1998 07:32:28 -0800
My oldest son gained 50 pounds in the first year after he left home.
Until the past year or so we ate low carb, high protein diet, but not paleo
per se. (We have moved lately toward the paleo idea) He was normal weight,
at 6'1", and about 175. He got a lot of exercise, but no varsity sports. He
liked our diet and lifestyle, but found that he couldn't resist the
lifestyle of his new peer group at work -pasta, ice cream, etc. He is
clearly much more insulin insensitive than most of them, because he is the
fattest.

This situation has caused my wife and I no little concern, but as you might
guess it is very sensitive. When he first went out on his own he was pretty
lonely for a while, and he doesn't want to add any major differences that
might come between him  and his friends. He works in the software business,
where many meals are in restaurants with his co-workers.

So I share what I can with him, but feel hamstrung in giving much help. My
wife says, "if we could only get him home for six months we could peel that
right off." Probably true but beside the  point.

I wonder if anyone has had similar experiences, and maybe has some ideas to
share. I would let it go, and may have to, but my family of origin is full
of diabetes and hypertension, and I would sure like to help him avoid that
one.

Thanks,

Michael