NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
psam ordener <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Sep 1998 10:39:39 -0700

> >I am sure you are aware of this, but for others on this
list, I just want to
> >mention that if a child with severe allergies or asthma
goes to public schools
> >(as opposed to private or parochial schools) then
accommodations for dietary
> >considerations as well as dispensing of medications and
treatment of
> >emergencies must be accommodated by the school in
accordance with applicable
> >federal disability laws.

Most schools assume that allowing children to bring their
own lunch is a reasonable accommodation for food-allergic
children.  We have found this to be the safest option.
Teachers, nurse, principal, etc. are also advised that the
child is not permitted to consume anything not cleared
first with parents.  Because of contact allergy with milk
products, I have to OK glues, pastes etc. too.
Troublesome, but not as much as an anaphylactic reaction
when the nurse is gone to lunch, or taking heights and
weights at another school.

psam

Motherhood - not just a job, it's an Adventure!