NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Nancy Weir <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Mar 1998 11:37:15 -0500
>I have a son who has a suspected milk allergy. He will be
>one year old in two weeks.
>He has chronic kidney failure.
Milk can be hard on the kidneys if one is allergic to it.

>He is on a special formula however, it is milk-based.
Would it be possible for him to drink soya milk or rice milk
since he is almost a year old?  Perhaps a nutritionist or
the manufacturers could tell you about their potassium and
phosphorous content.

Double check that the margarine you are using is dairy free.
I use Fleishman's Salt-Free Margarine.  It tastes o.k. and
bakes quite well.

I always thought I'd be feeding my child grilled cheese
sandwiches, lasagne and macaroni and cheese, but since I've
developed a milk allergy, I just don't make those.  It takes
a period of adjustment to figure out what to cook for supper
and eat for snacks, but there are lots of alternatives, so
don't worry that it would be too difficult to adopt a dairy
free diet for your son.

I hope you can pin point what is causing his allergies.

All the best.