AAM Archives

African Association of Madison, Inc.

AAM@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Peter Munoz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
AAM (African Association of Madison)
Date:
Thu, 29 Apr 1999 14:34:51 -0500
From: Vicki Washington 2-3049 <[log in to unmask]> 04/29/99 01:04PM >>>
From:          Stephen Braunginn <[log in to unmask]>
To:            "[log in to unmask]" <[log in to unmask]>,
Subject:       RE: Betty Franklin
Date:          Thu, 29 Apr 1999 12:48:36 -0500

Dear sisters and brothers in the struggle:
Yesterday, we lost a warrior of warriors; a giant among giants. Betty
Franklin-Hammonds was a tireless advocate for the disenfranchised, for
people of color, for children and those with a disabilities. Betty would not
be intimidated by the power players in our community, rather she took them
on in her firm way. She spoke truth to power. Betty's passing leaves a huge
void in our community, one in which no one person can fill. Let us all
continue to live out her legacy through our own work, our own commitment to
bettering our community. Her's was a lifelong journey in the struggle, all
the way to the end. Let us lock our arms together as we march down freedom's
way, to the Promise Land.

God Bless You Betty! We love you.
Steve Braunginn

Please extend your prayers and sympathies to the Franklin-Hammonds
family.  A source close to the family has asked that we hold phone
calls becuase the family is being inundated by calls from the media.
At this time there is no information available about funeral
arrangements or memorials.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Vicki W.