AAM Archives

African Association of Madison, Inc.

AAM@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"E. Aggo Akyea" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
AAM (African Association of Madison)
Date:
Tue, 2 Nov 1999 06:17:05 -0600
I had the same problems with his program and certainly could not have
articulated it all more eruditely than Ali Mazrui did.  Of course it is
easier to tell how something falls short of the ideal, but Louis Gates
“Wonders of the African World” simply leaves too much to be desired.  I
congratulate him for the gallant effort to bring this about since we all
learned a lot from the show.  However, I think he approached the whole
subject with too much of Western and African-American sensibilities and
emotions, rather than the scholarly critical look we would expect from a
Harvard professor.  Better we Africans sit up, wake up, rouse ourselves, and
tell our own story.