Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Tom Turak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Feb 1998 08:15:23 -0500
I can't resist giving my 2 cents worth.  The huge advantage of swappable
drives is price / performance, given the current cost of megabytes.  The
HUGE disadvantage is you keep only one backup.
Tape is not for everyone, but I go with 4mm DAT tape.  Backs up 4 gigs in 3
hours, I know, slow slow slow, but by then I'm sound asleep, and I have
over 2 dozen tapes of all kinds of interesting stuff.  My system doesn't
allow quick tape browsing at the file level, but there are some that do.
 Seagate has a system that allows browsing a tape like it was a hard disk.
 It takes 2 to 10 minutes to restore a database, and my databases range
from 30 meg to 140 meg.  There is no limit to how much you can backup
because volumes can span multiple tapes.  As for reliablility I throw out
tapes when the backup software warns the tape has retries and I have never
lost anything due to tape error.  The my drive connects to a standard
SCSI-2 50 pin adapter, if you have a SCSI drive like I do you can even work
comfortably while the backup is in progress, except that most systems won't
backup files you  currently have open or are editing.

Admittedly, full restores of OLTP can't wait 3 hours, so any mission
critical stuff should be on a backup server or raid.  I use a backup
server.  For personal use, my biggest obstacle to using backup drives is
Murphy's law, junk expands to fit all available space, so now you have 2
drives to backup.
tom turak