Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Bob Wright <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Feb 1998 18:39:11 -0700
This sounds fairly ominous.   I would first make sure the pin
on your monitor is very straight and connecting cleanly.  Then
I would try this monitor on a second system to be sure it is
working properly.

Now, I would strip down the problem computer.  Remove
or disconnect everything except the motherboard, CPU chip,
ram memory, video card, keyboard and power supply.  Try
powering on the system.  It should boot into the BIOS and you
may need to bypass the hard drive & floppy seek.  If it does not
boot, change the video card.  Then try switching out the ram.
Once you have it booting, I would set the CMOS to the default
settings.

I would also double check the jumpers for your CPU...  improper
jumper settings for the CPU can cause these problems...  they
might even have degradated the CPU till it is really malfunctioning.

Once you have this basic setup working, you can add components
one at a time and trouble shoot each one.   I would add the controller
card next, then the floppy drive...  followed by the hard drive.  Then
start adding the remainder of your cards.

I hope this helps, I know this can be frustrating...  I had a system
do very much the same thing and eventually found the motherboard
to be bad.

   Bob