Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Tue, 10 Feb 1998 12:19:52 -0800
7bit
From:
"K.A.W. D.R." <[log in to unmask]>
Shrinivas Puranik wrote:

>      I have an internal Acer 33.6 modem which worked fine till yesterday.
>      Yesterday while cleaning I must have accidentally pulled the telephone
>      line loose from the modem. Will this in anyway fry the modem ?. The
>      computer was on by the way. The problem is, immediately after that my
>      windows 95 wouldn't recognise the modem.
>      This is what I tried :So I tried to remove and reinstall the modem, No go.
>      I removed the modem and reseated the modem , tried a diffrent slot
>      still the same problem. It would not recognise the modem. It would
>      come back with the message "could not open port"
>      I tried a DOS based diagnostic software, it recognises the two comm
>      ports but fails to recognise the modem.
>      Is there any way to tell for sure that my modem is truly dead ?.
The simplest method is to swap it into another computer that has a
properly-working identical modem & software.  A possible problem is that
the
modular phone-cord socket was damaged when the cord was yanked out. If
you
have a telephone connected to the modular "phone" socket and it works
normally,
that probably indicates the sockets are OK.  Install a different modem
that
is known to be operational to test if your motherboard ports were
damaged.
An "Aw Gee!" could be that the phone line-cord (from the wall) is
plugged
into the wrong modular socket ("phone" vs. "line").
David Ross
San Francisco

          PCBUILD:  http://nospin.com  or  [log in to unmask]