From:
Lynn Samuel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Feb 1998 23:09:57 EST

     Many newly diagnosed celiacs seem to think they must give up
delicious homemade, fresh out-of-the-oven tasty bread; NOT SO! I never
was a bread maker pre-celiac days, nor did I particularly like bread, but
I do now...mainly for sandwiches.

     I have one of the older Wellbuilt bread machines that is no longer
for sale, so I personally can't recommend a current machine, but I'm sure
others can. Mine even has a choice of being programmed...but since I am
not mechanically or technically inclined, I go for the ease of the white
bread/yeast bread setting with no problem. My favorite bread (including
all home made recipes) is the Favorite Sandwich Bread mix available from
Gluten-Free Pantry mail order in Conn. I buy it by the case with a 10%
discount which basically pays for shipping. The mix costs about $4.75 +
shipping and a part of that cost goes to Celiac research.

     After the machine bakes it, I slice and put into freezer bags, two
pieces together. When I want a sandwich, I put the pieces in the
mircrowave oven and it tastes freshly baked. The only drawback from
processed wheat bread is that there are no preservatives and the shelf
life is not long unless frozen. I used to put it in a plastic lined
canvas bag with a velcro closing, wrapped in paper towels that had to be
changed daily, but it gets moldy some times, it's so moist.

     There is no comparison to commercially purchased gluten-free breads
that are usually sold already with the whole loaf frozen. When I used to
eat them, the consistency reminded me of sawdust and the taste was not
real enticing. Perhaps they've improved since I've tried them..don't
know. Some people do prefer home made gluten-free recipes and some are
good...so, don't judge the taste on what you can purchase already made,
unless you are lucky enough to find bread at a gluten-free bakery!

     One other note; some folks make their gluten-free bread in their
machines using the quick bread setting, with no second rise. This is
possible too, but I've never had a loser punching the regular yeast
setting, going about my business and coming back to delicious bread. I
hope this info helps some newly diagnosed folks feeling kind of lost at
first!

Lynn in Omaha, NE USA