From:
Reesa Zuber <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Feb 1998 01:12:22 -0700

Some additional comments.  Sorry I missed them in the first post.  rz

***Quinoa and buckwheat are gluten free.  I still don't understand why the
national celiac asso.  can't get that straight!  I use Natures Path vitamins
all the time and have not had a reaction to them--and I react to minute
amounts of gluten.

***Dear Reesa, They are on the questionable list according to the Celiac
Sprue Assoc.  The group members may tell you they are okay, as they may be
okay for them, but I wouldn't put them in my mouth.  According to the info.
that I have buckwheat is okay if there is no wheat contamination.  How would
anyone be aware of that?  Be very careful.  Good luck.

***I believe buckwheat and quinoa can both be contaminated with wheat.  In
otherwords, they could be grown in the same fields and some wheat gets mixed
in.  I guess you would be taking your chances with them.

***Buckwheat is not really a wheat but some celiacs (and non-celiacs) have
some problems (non-gluten related) to this grain.  Quinoa is considered
safe as well but I don't believe that any conclusive research has been
done in it.  I have eaten quinoa pastas without any problems - not the
golden rule, I realize, but I am very sensitive to gluten and typically
respond to minute amounts.