From:
Melissa Marshall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Mar 1998 10:34:11 -0600

Many thanks to all 18 of you who responded to my query about how to deal
with gluten ingestion 'accidents'.

Here is the collective wisdom:

Metamucil or other psyllium-husk products were again recommended. (Be
aware that Metamucil contains the controversial maltodextrin, however
alternatives are available; some health food stores sell pure psyllium
in bulk which is also cheaper). One person had received a prescription
for a medication called Donnatol, which she had found effective.
Several people mentioned conventional over-the-counter remedies for
stomach upset or diarrhea: Pepto-Bismol, Kaopectate, Alka-Seltzer,
Mylanta, Imodium. One person suggested that diarrhea medicines should
NOT be used, that these tend to keep the gluten in the system, and it is
better to try to 'keep things moving'.

For this reason some advised eating rather than fasting. Fatty foods
were suggested, as was plain rice. Other people said they found eating
little or sticking to plenty of water or clear liquids was best.

Papayas seemed to come up a lot! Because they contain enzymes which aid
digestion, several people suggested nibbling on dried papaya. One woman
microwaved dried papaya shavings in a bit of water for 20 seconds, then
put the water in her child's milk. Apparently papaya enzymes are also
available in tablets; American Health brand Papaya Enzyme with
Chlorophyll was recommended.

One person recommended two other 'supplement' type remedies: Prevail
Vitase Digestive Formula, and Now Allergy Support. An
echinacea/goldenseal compound was suggested for nausea.

Several people prepared special concoctions for symptomatic relief,
including:
   1/2 cup of aloe vera juice mixed with apple juice, taken at first sign
      of reaction then every 1/2 hour to an hour, or before eating.
   baking soda dissolved in water
   1 tablespoon of soy lecithin mixed in 1 cup of water

Some very simple remedies to try were:

   nibbling on candied ginger or drinking ginger tea (this is a well-known
      traditional remedy for nausea. I have also had great success with using
      this for seasickness or carsickness)
   4-12 teaspoons of cane sugar taken at first sign of symptoms
   cola (not too cold)
   chocolate (my own experience with this is the opposite, that it disrupts
      my digestion, I think maybe because of the caffeine)
   a glass of wine to ease the pain and anxiety

I loved this last suggestion--it reminded me of the importance of
relaxing and not taking the occasional accident too too seriously. Who
knows, a relaxed, positive attitude may do as much to help our bodies
heal themselves as anything else. I think there's also a lot to be said
for the psychological benefits of taking an active approach to
self-care, rather than just passively suffering when we experience
gluten-induced pain and discomfort. I hope these suggestions will
inspire some of us to action! Best of luck to everybody who gives them a
shot!

Melissa in New Orleans