Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Wed, 19 Aug 1998 20:00:25 EDT
From:
Peggy Smith <[log in to unmask]>

I am trying to work with my 1st grader's school district so that he may have
lunch at school each day.  I was prepared for this to be a challenge, but
evidently not prepared enough.  I need help in locating the exact law
reference that states that the school must provide his lunch.  I believe it is
in the Disabilities Act but am not sure.  I am not even sure if it is a
Federal or a State law.  We are in South Carolina.  If anyone could help I
would appreciate it.  He starts school tomorrow and we have wtill not made any
progress.  The food services coordinator at his school is very willing to do
anything she can - but she has to go through a private company that the school
district as contracted with this year to provide the breakfasts and the
lunches - so her hand are tied.  She was ready to go with me to purchase any
items necessary or to order anything she needed to in order to equal the
gluten filled lunches.  The private company however says "We will do what we
can.  But we just don't have the time to discuss a diet like this.  We suggest
you pack your child a lunch each day."

I am realistic.  I do expect to provide a certain amount of his foods, and he
may not want to eat the school lunches everyday.  However, I do expect them to
make an effort.  They feed many other children special diets each day in his
school alone.

Please help if you can.
Thanks
Peggy