From:
Bonnie Tyler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Feb 1998 15:22:07 -0700

I finally read the article "Eating: Glutens for Punishment By Laurie Drake"
which was published in the February magazine and I have to disagree with
those on the list who thought the article was positive.  Allure and Laurie
Drake owe the Celiac community an apology for this highly offensive and
uninformed article.  The way Drake  associates celiacs with people on the
latest fad diets is equivalent to associating diabetics with people who are
following the latest low carbohydrate fad diet.  If allure had done that to
diabetics, they would probably be sued.  Any positive aspects the article
might have had in informing people about CD were clearly negated when the
author associated our serious disease with nuts on the latest health food
fad.  Drake didn't even get to discuss any facts about CD until near the
end of the article after many readers have lost interest and gone on to the
next article.  For those of us with celiac disease, the gluten free diet is
far from the latest fad.  We have to live with this diet for the rest of
our lives.  One of the hardest parts of the disease is dealing with the
people who won't take our dietary restrictions seriously because they think
we are just nuts following the latest dieting fad.  Allure magazine just
made that problem worse.