From:
Gail Maurer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Feb 1998 19:29:51 EST

Thanks to the 27 people who responded to my questions;

1) Is there a conncetion between CD and depression

The overwhelming consensus was that depression is a frequent result of CD and
most agreed that its a result of (non-) or malabsorption of nutrients and
sepecially frequently mentioned was B vitamins.

Only one person said that their Depression cleared up after getting a
diagnosis (and knowing they wereen't crazy)

Most suprisingly, only one person said that their Depression cleared up after
going GF.

It was also pointed out to me that the Celiac Society of America has noted the
high correlation between CD and Depression especially in women.

One interesting comment was that depression may also have a pyschological
cause in Celiacs; the deprivation of comfort foods.

2) Has anyone had any experience with Prozac

The comments on Prozac and other drugs differed so widely that no real
conclusions could be drawn.

Comments on Rrozac ranged from it saved my life to "worst day of my life.

Some noted that it helped but not totally.  Some noted no side effects while
others mentioned such as nervousness.  Others noted that the side effects
cleared up after a short period of time

Other folks tried Zoloft or Paxil which i believe are also Serotonin Uptake
inhibitors like Prozac.  The results with these drugs also varied too widely
to draw any conclusions.

Other drugs mentioned were Serzone, Wellbutrin and Effexon.

Several people had good results from St. Johns Wort and a couple had good
results from massive doses of Vitamins (esp. Bs)

So far the jury is out for Prozac in this household.  The wife has been taking
it for three weeks so far with no results and the Dr. says it can take
anywhere from two to six weeks depending on the individual before it kicks in.
On the other hand , after the first couple of days, she's had no side effects
other than a loss of appetite (which she can't really afford).

I'll post to the list when we get a clearer picture of the results
Thanks to all
Gail & Mark