Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Sat, 14 Feb 1998 21:21:59 -0500
From:
ANDY THOMSON <[log in to unmask]>

Thanks very much to the members who responded to my question as to
whether olives were generally safe if not packed in vinegar.  I
received the following information:

1.  Hy Vee olives are gluten free.

2.  One member reported no reaction to gourmet deli sold by the pound
type of olives. [I would worry about the possibility of utensil
contamination!]

3.  One member eats olives in brine all the time with no adverse
effects.

4.  One member states that "brine is vinegar" and therefore to be
avoided.  [I'm not sure this is true.  My impression is that brine is
salt water.  Any comments would be welcome.]

5.  Five members included a warning to beware the olives were not
packed in vinegar.  One of these members reported lactic acid being
ok as a packing ingredient.

6.  One member reported olives being on the approved foods list of
CSA.

7.  One member can not eat black olives.

8.  One member reported that the TCCSSG lists NEW MORNING Green Black,
 Spanish Green, and Calamata, PROGRESSO Oil Cured, S 7 W Extra Large
Black Pitted, Jumbo Black Pitted, Manzanilla Green Green, Queen Green
Plain, Queen Green Stuffed, and Super Colossal Black (With Pits), and
ZORBA Calamata, Greek Black, and Spanish Green as gf in its 97-98
shopping guide.

9.  One member reported having no trouble with Sun of Italy and
Pelopponese, which are available on the east coast.

Thanks again to everyone who responded!

Andy Thomson