From:
Wojciech Bania <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Feb 1998 20:45:24 -0100

Hello,
Recently there has been a discussion on allowable gliadine content in
GF products in Europe. Last post from Sweden seems to be a total
misunderstanding:

> I am glad to tell you that that must have been a misprint.  In Sweden (and
> I would think all of Europe) GF means less than 0.3 grams of proteine per
> 100 grams of raw
> product which would be same as less than 0.3 %.

My previous post was based upon popular literature for celiacs.
Today I have just received an official letter from Institute of
Immunology of Children's Health Center (it is the only institution
in Poland which allows to label GF products with GF sign - after
determining gliadine content in their labs of course). Chief of the
Institute wrote that allowable gliadine content in GF products in
Poland should not exceed 1 mg per 100 g of dry substance. She also
wrote that polish legal basis dated 1990 is based on "Codex
Alimentarius" dated 1989. I'm convinced that the whole information is
extremely reliable.

> Sweden and Finland are topping, I think, the list of 'how many celiac
> inhabitants', and we also are well equiped regarding research,
> information and regulations regarding what can be called gluten free, free
> of gluten, naturally glutenfree and so on.
> We have a nationwide Celiac organisation as well as local ones, which is a
> great way to get information, support  and recepies.

So please european listmates (esp. Germany, UK, Italy and Sweden) ask
your Celiac Societies for reliable information and forward it to the
Celiac Listserver. It is of great importance for all of us living in
Europe but also for Americans visiting Europe on business or tourist
trips.

BTW - could anybody tell me how much gliadine is in wheat starch ? -
just curious, I know it's not GF.

Best Regards
                        Wojciech