Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Fri, 22 May 1998 23:23:14 EDT
From:
Tgerlily <[log in to unmask]>

I read the article from Scientific American today, and I found it an
incredible step towards validating depression as a legitimate, biological
illness.  The author not only addresses the genetics and biology, but the
environmental (psychological) factors that contribute.  I know that as a
pharmacy major, anti-depressants and other psychotrophic drugs are a topic of
hot debate in medical circles.

The fact that we can link our CD to depression seems to make sense.  However,
She has some good points about the social hindrances that we face.  I must
stress, though, that that posting treads the line of "aren't you just feeling
sorry for yourself?" that held back depression research and recognition for
many years.  It is the same stigma that has turned Prozac into a pop culture
joke.

I think that we need to realize that we will feel awkward/sad/angry about some
of the things that we have to deal with.  But I don't want anyone to ever have
to face the regret of realizing that their struggles were biochemical, and
could've probably been easily alleviated long before.  I wish that I had
sooner.

Celiacs have a lot of medical challenges to face, and they can sometimes be
mysterious or frightening.  It is true that some of our postings/discussions
can sound "paranoid."  But we each seem to find our own answers, and find
strength in each other.

Best wishes,
Jessica in IL