From:
Shel Bercovich <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Apr 1998 08:08:26 -0600

On Tuesday, our local paper carried an article about a "biotechnical company"
buying a disused brewery to produce xanthan gum. Although it appears the
primary usage for the gum produced will be in the oil and gas industry as a
"suspending agent that prevents fine solids from settling in a drill hole", it
was interesting to note the following in the article:

"The same raw materials used in beer -- wheat and corn -- are used for xanthan
gum."

An earlier thread discussed the difficulties some people were having with
Pamela's cookies. From the posts I've kept, none seemed to say specifically
whether the xanthan gum used was corn- or wheat-based. (Most of these posts
concentrated on the cookie production itself.) Some other threads on xanthan
gum have suggested that some xanthan gum is based on barley.

Is there a definitive list available of which suppliers of supposedly
gluten-free foods use corn-only xanthan gum?

Shel
--  To reply, remove the "s" from "waves" before sending.       \/
Shel Bercovich  [log in to unmask]     [log in to unmask]     /\