From:
Jerry Rasmussen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Feb 1998 10:16:12 -0500
I have to agree with Al.  I have a 4.2 GB Quantum Fireball ST and use a 2 GB
Ditto parallel port tape drive (Sony StorStation) to back it up.  It takes more
than one tape and takes hours to run the backup and compare processes. (Anytime
you backup, you should compare the copy with the original - there are errors more
often than you might expect.)  Recently, the tape drive started yanking the tape
off of the spool.  Iomega provides instructions on how to re-spool the tape at
their web site.  However, the drive did the same thing again.  I called Sony and
they have a facility to send the defective drive to porvided it is within the
warranty period (2 years).  Mine is one year old and has already failed.  I am
sure that the one they will send me is rebuilt.  Sony also has another location
to send de-spooled tapes for replacement (replace the tape, not the data on it).
There is a third location to send tapes that offers recovery of data from a
de-spooled tape.  There are no costs for the services, but you pay for shipping
the materials to them.  In the mean time, you are without any backup means, and
you may have lost critical data, or at least time on a project waiting for data
to be recovered.  I have old project archived (one and only one copy) on these
tapes.  After this unpleasant experience, I am considering CD-RW as an
alternative means, though it looks like DVD-RW is close to coming to market.  Can
I afford to wait??  Like Al, I don't trust tapes anymore.

Jerry Rasmussen :-)