NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kathryn M Przywara <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 Jul 1998 09:04:51 -0700
On Wed, 8 Jul 1998 10:57:19 -0500 Terry McJunkin <[log in to unmask]> writes:
>>Use more ketchup than honey. If you want to be fancy, add sauteed
>>onions and/or worcestshire sauce.
>
>Worcestershire has vinegar and corn syrup, so be careful if you're
>gluten or corn allergic.

Most ketchups have corn in them also.  I did just pull out a BBQ sauce
recipe from the newspaper that starts with tomatoes.  I have not tried it
yet, but hope to get time soon :-)  I also have a good one that I use for
Shredded Pork BBQ, but it starts with ketchup.  I have seen corn free
ketchups.  Both have vinegar, but I don't know what the gluten connection
is with that for those affected.

Cory Schreiber's Barbecue Sauce from Scratch
(West Magazine July 5, 1998)

4 tbsp unsalted butter (obviously sub margarine here)
3-4 strips bacon, diced
1 med onion, chopped
1 red pepper, roughly chopped
1 green pepper, roughly chopped
1-2 jalapeno peppers, chopped with seeds
2 garlic cloves, chopped
1 bunch cilantro stems
6 med tomatoes, diced with seeds and juice
1/2 c molases
1/4 c brown sugar
1 c red wine vinegar
6 black peppercorns
1 bay leaf

  Over med-low heat and in a medium size pot, melt butter.  Add bacon and
onion together and sute slowly for at least 5 minutes, or until bacon
begins to get crispy.
  Add red, green, and jalapeno peppers and saute / simmer for another 3
minutes.
  Add garlic and cilantro stems and saute/simmer 5 more minutes.
  Add tomatoes, molasses and brown sugar and bring to a boil.
  Reduce heat to a simmer, then add vinegar, peppercorns and bay leaf.
Simmer about 1 1/2 hours.
  Blend until smooth with an imersion blender or in a food processor.
Retrun to pot and reduce more if you like.  Adjust seasonings with salt,
pepper, or more spice if you like.  Makre 3 to 3 1/2 cups.

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]