NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Rose Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Feb 1998 11:36:35 EST
I agree!
Sensitivity or allergy to milk is certainly not the only cause of ear
infections. When my 5 year old was 10 months old we discovered his
anaphylactic allergy to milk and from that day forward he has been living a
milk-free life (except for a few accidents).
However, he started having ear infections by age 1 and continued with
virtually back-to-back infections until we discovered that they were related
to allergies to dust, mold and animal dander!
By age 2-1/2, he traded ear infections for asthma as a reaction to those
environmental allergies. With good environmental control (cleaning the house
thoroughly, using an air purifier and avoiding playing outside after rain),
his reactions have tapered. He hasn't had an asthmatic episode for 1-1/2
years!

One of the best ways I found to determine what was causing the ear infections,
was to start keeping a journal of what my son ate, what his activities were,
his moods and the weather. Before long I started to see a pattern: hard rain
(we live in South Florida where the mold count is pretty high, esp. during the
rainy season), clear runny nose, then ear infection.

Hope this helps!
Rose