VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
John Mattioli <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Mar 1998 09:37:25 -0500
Greetings,

        A quick note on the audio e-mail program...

        I think this is a pretty darn cool idea.  I think the marketing behind it
is horrible and the author really needs to examine his market long and
hard.  Marketing such a product to blind users is foolish.  I know dozens
of sighted computer users who would love to talk instead of write.  This
isn't because they can't write, it's because they type all day!  I've seen
mainstream voice e-mail packages that lacked the accessibility features
needed by blind users.  As far as I'm concerned, this product could easily
have been marketed as a mainstream voice e-mail package plus the
accessibility features needed by blind users.

        A final note.  I was down right insulted by the author's introductory
message on his website.  Using his wonderful new package to encode some
nice audio he told me in his very own voice that "this program is so easy
even a blind guy can use it."  Perhaps this was meant in jest, perhaps I
simply took his meaning wrong, but I'd like to register this product and if
I can get past his implication that I'm a less intelligent individual due
to my blindness perhaps I will.

John