VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kelly Ford <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Feb 1998 23:50:06 -0800
My apologies if this duplicates information previously posted.  I didn't
read this info on the places I'm sending it so hope I didn't miss it.

       Speak Up On Assistive Technology

Assistive technologies -- including computers and the
internet -- can be incredibly empowering tools for people
with disabilities.  Four upcoming hearings offer an
opportunity to help shape future priorities.

The National Institute on Disability and Rehabilitation
Research (NIDRR) will be conducting a series of nationwide
public hearings on future initiatives in Assistive
Technology. NIDRR is interested in gathering information
from consumers, families, service providers, advocacy
organizations, community groups, state agencies, and
other stakeholders on existing and future needs for
assistive technology devices and services, systemic
barriers to meeting those needs, and successful approaches
that have been used to remove barriers to the acquisition
of assistive technology services and devices for
individuals with disabilities.

Representatives from the United States Department of
Education, including the Director of NIDRR, will be
present to listen to testimony from witnesses on the
increasingly important role assistive technology will
play in the next century to help individuals with
disabilities and the elderly live and work more
independently. The purpose of these hearing is to
help formulate policy relating to assistive technology
for persons with disabilities.

One public hearing has already been conducted in
Washington, DC. Four more are planned. All meetings are
open to the public. The schedule of these upcoming
meetings is the following:

March 4, 1998 Seattle, Washington
Contact: Debbie Cook and Dagmar Amtmann - 206/685-4181
e-mail: [log in to unmask]

March 18, 1998 Kansas City, Missouri
Contact: Sara Sack - 316/421-8367
e-mail: [log in to unmask]

March 25, 1998 Boston, Massachusetts
Contact: Marion Pawlek - 603/224-0630
e-mail: [log in to unmask]

April 2, 1998 Tallahassee, Florida
Contact: Terry Ward - 850/487-3278
e-mail: [log in to unmask]

Please direct any questions to the people listed above or to
Nancy Meidenbauer
RESNA Technical Assistance Project