VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Saqib Shaikh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 31 Jan 1998 12:16:01 GMT
 Hi all,

I am thinking about buying a scanner and would be grateful for
any help. What I basically want to do is to get any
book/magazine/newspaper/letter and read it. Is this an
impossible dream? How close to this dream can you get?

Firstly, how much would I have to pay for a special reading
machine like a Domino or Rainbow? I know I can get a normal
OCR scanner for about stlg100 to stlg130 UK.

What sort of things should I be looking for in a scanner? Is
there any disadvantages with nt spending stlg200 upwards? Are
there any particularly good ut cheep scanners around?

When it comes to software, what sort of software is easy to
use?

I would be very grateful if someone could contact me via the
list or privately at:

Regards, Saqib Shaikh