VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ren Wang <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Jan 1998 09:05:18 -0500
It's interesting. This joke reminds me a question.

Last year, we bought a new car. Before we had made choice, my wife went
through the Customer's Evaluation published annually about the
performance, good and bad points of every car in the market. Considering
our needs and environmental situation, we finally sected Saturn because of
its plastic body. We did this very carefully because $15000 was not a
small amount.

Today there are numerous kinds of adaptive equipments
available to handicapped people in the market; and most of their prices
are higher than a PC computer. For a handicapped beginner who wants to buy
a system for getting a new job in the future, the burden of its cost is
the same as we purchasing a car. But can this person find out which one is
the best choice.

I have read many magazines, newsletters and web pages focusing on
introducing different adaptive equipments and some users' experiences. But
most of them are more or less commercialized and the advantages are often
emphasized. many of those documents sound like a car advertisement. Even
the articles issued by ACB or AFB still lack of indexation. So for a
computer beginner, it's very hard to make comparison of those equipments.

I am wondering if we should appeal to the federal government for a project
of equipment analysis and produce an annual report on all the adaptive
equipments in the market, so that those who do not have a degree in
computer science or equivalent experience can still make their choice by
by themselves. We can chose a car from Toyota, Fort, Nisan, Benz, Saturn
etc without actually learn the details.

Ren