VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Heather Achtziger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Jan 1998 09:03:35 -0500
Hi, my name is Heather Achtziger, and I'm new to the list.  I'd have
written the word "survey" in the subject line and been more truthful, but
that word usually gets little more than a groan!  But wait!  Before you
dump this message, let me explain.  Uh. . .then you can dump it!!

As I said, my name is Heather.  I am a technical writer by trade, and I'm a
graduate student in the Technical and Professional Communication program at
Southern Polytechnic State University in Marietta (well, Atlanta) Georgia.
I am doing research for my thesis, which will explore better ways for
people in my field to design computer documentation so that it's accessible
and easy to use by legally and totally blind computer users.

On a personal note, I'm really excited to have found this list.  I've only
been on it for about two days, and already I've learned a lot.  My oldest
sister is legally blind -- she lost almost all of her sight to glaucoma
years ago.  She struggles to learn to use computers, and as I understand
it, the loss of DOS-based programs has made that even harder.  I hope that
my thesis, in some small way (well, I hope in a large way!!) will educate
other writers in my largely unaware field that the needs of visually
impaired computer users are compelling and prevalent.  That's why I'm
asking for your help.  I've listed 18 questions below, and I would REALLY
appreciate it if you would take some time to answer them.  E-mail me back
your answers at [log in to unmask] or share them with the list if you
like.  If a question is not clear, please let me know and I'll clarify.
Also, I may e-mail some of you back to pick your brains more!  (But
definitely let me know if you don't want me to do that.)

Thanks in advance for your help.

   Do you work on a computer at home, at work, or both?
   If you use a computer at work, what is your profession?
   Which applications do you use?
   Which platform and version do you use?  (DOS, Windows 3.1, Windows 95,
   etc.)
   What other types of hardware do you use? (printer, modem, scanner, etc.)
   Do you use any adaptive equipment to work with your computer?
   If you answered yes to the previous question, which types do you use?
   Include brand names and version numbers, if possible.
   For the applications you use, do you use any of the documentation that
   came with them?  (either manuals, online help, information you
   downloaded from a web site, etc.)
   In general, is this information helpful?
   Based on your answer to the previous question, why or why not?
   If you answered NO to question number 7, how did you learn to use these
   applications?
   For the adaptive equipment you use, do you use any of the documentation
   that comes with it?
   In general, is this information helpful?
   Based on your answer to the previous question, why or why not?
   If you answered NO to question number 11, how did you learn to use these
   applications?
   If you use computer documentation at all, in what form do you find it
   most useful?  (Please describe all elements of the setup you use with as
   much detail as possible.  For example, you might use hardcopy read by an
   OCR scanner, then displayed in large print on your screen.  Or you
   prefer large print paper manuals with no other adaptive equipment?  Do
   you prefer manuals on CD-ROM read aloud by screen-reading equipment?
   If you like any documentation you use, what features make it easy to
   use?  (For example, maybe background information is explained well.  Or,
   the information makes it easy to tell when you've finished a procedure.
   Or, steps are written briefly and correctly. etc. etc. etc.)
   In your opinion, what features make documentation hard to use?