VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ren Wang <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Sep 1997 17:15:22 -0400
Hi:

Today's computer application for the blind is not just internet which has
been talked mostly in this mailing list.  Not just blind people, many
sighted owners of small and even median sized companies have not yet
realized the power of the computer system--both interonet and internet.
When I talked with some engineering companies' owners about developing
their database management system or designing homepages, they often said
"I can't see how it can helps me make more money."  Therefore many
engineers and business managers have never owned an internet account while
some of the old and low educated labors are learning how to make an
attractive homepage for their home-based businesses.

Learning new or highly specially knowledge for a blind person is far
beyound entertainment.  It is true that we have much less learning
opportunities than sighted people, but unless you make full committment to
it, this world will soon leave you behind.  I remember 18 years ago, when
I was still in China, there was no education for the blind after junior
high school for the blind there.  All blind who finished school could only
work in the welfare factroies doing manufacture work.  I did not like that
kind of work so I started learning English.  No book, I spent more 8 hours
on radio listening and practicing.  Whenever I met a English speeker on
the street or in a party, I tried to practice my English because I was
told there were a lot of braille and audio matterials in English.  Today,
I can see that my commitment at that time was valuable.

Today, computer knowledge for blind people is as important as English to
me during that time.  With strong computer operating and software skill,
you can not only have more job opportunities but also gain a great respect
from the sighted people around you because not that many people are
experts now even though they have better chance to learn.

Ren Wang