VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Lynn Zelvin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 Apr 1998 13:46:33 -0400
I had a chance to use the ATM in Boston that had full braille
instructions.  As someone who learned to read braille as an adult, I
found problems with the situation that didn't work for me.  For one
thing, the machine didn't provide sufficient time between questions so
that one could move back and forth from the braille that was below the
pad, find one's place and return to follow the desired directions.  If
this is going to be any sort of solution at all, there needs to be an
option to have the process slowed down (something that would help other
disabled people also, like those with motor disabilities.

Well, the instructions also either had a line missing or it was buried
under the plate that held it in place.

I successfully used ATM's for years because they were all the same, so I
just needed to memorize one series of commands.  Then they started to
change and add variations that  meant you couldn't confidently hit the
right buttons at the right time.  I hope that access, if anyone can do
the right law suits to make it happen, will eventually mean that all
kiosk machines will be designed with people with all disabilities in
mind, so that deaf-blind people can haave this sort of braille
instruction, or large print options, that speech output will be
universal, that touch screens will be options, never the only way, that
security devices like those proposed in New Jersey which will read
the retina of people's eyes will have alternatives for people who don't
have eyes or whose maculas are changing.  Etc. etc.

But one simple thing that could be done in the meantime is change the
programming to ensure consistency.  So that if you have used one machine,
you could use them all, could use one set of directions.  New options
could be added at the end, so that the old choices would still work the
same way.

My favorite machine was one in a hotel which had a braille sign that told
you the machine would dispense twenty dollar bills, that it was of a
certain model, and that if you wanted braille instructions you could go
to any branch of a particular bank during regular business hours.  I
mean, what would a local person who had managed to procured the book of
braille instructions for different machine models and always carried it
with them be doing in the hotel in the firstplace, there would probably
be more convenient  places to use machines.  And if you were new to town,
what does all that expensive braille do for you - if you are going to go
to the bank and happen to need money during normal business hours, what
do you need the instructions for, unless you plan to re-visit that hotel
many times in the future.

My other favorite is the book that chemical bankput out to let blind
customers  know how to use some of their machines.  It was, in fact, a
book.  It described several machine configurations, but emphasized that
one model could only predictably be found in banks open during niormal
business hours.  Again, I wonder why I would need an ATM if I could
consistently visit the bank during normal business hours.

But the funniest part of this book was its description of how to use
touch screens.  It said things like, "to make a withdrawl, press the
button that is about one and a half inches from the top of the touch
window."  I was trying toimagine carrying a ruler around in order to make
bank transactions.

I have heard that there are people who won some lawsuits related to
ATM's.  Heard through the grapevine, that is, not documentable.  It was
people who used one ATM in their neighborhood and knew how to use it and
it was replaced with a machine with a touch screen which they couldn't
use at all.  Apparently besides changing the machines back, they won some
money, but had to agree to keep the case quiet, so we don't have them as
precidents.

One thing is for sure, the banks involved can't claim undue burden, as
they seem to be constantly replacing these expensive machines to add
these expensive inaccessible features, so they could certainly add some
accessible ones in the process.  I think a problem with the ADA is that
it doesn't require a place to buy accessible equipment if such equipment
is not availeable, but, not being a lawyer, I still think in this sort of
case, they can't get away with this that easily if real suits were
brought and people wouldn't settle for secrecy.

I'm also concerned that new sorts of kiosks are popping up that are
inaccessible, such as the new Amtrack ticket purchasing machines.

Clearly this is one of the million or so issues we need to stay on top of
before it gets out of hand <wry grin>.

Lynn Zelvin