From:
Al Anger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Feb 1998 02:38:36 -0800
In our last episode
Nick Torraca <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>I would like to add a CD writer to my Pentium system. I already have an IDE
>CD rom and an IDE zip drive on my second IDE interface. On my primary IDE
>interface, I have 2 hard drives, soon to be replaced by a single hard drive,
>freeing up the slave channel. Can I have a CD writer as a slave to a hard
>drive?

The simple answer is yes you can put the new CDR on the same channel as
your 'main' hard drive. However, it's not recommended. The CDR (any
CDROM) will slow down that channel (and everything on it).

>Or should I look for a scsi CD writer? Which brings me to the next
>question: Can I add another scsi card to my system which already has a
>proprietary scsi card for my scanner?

First, check if your scanner 'must' use that proprietary card. If not.
put the SCSI CDR and the scanner on your new card.

If you have enough interrupts, you can add the new SCSI card to your
existing system.

>What's the best way to go?

Another choise might be to put your internal zip on the sound card IDE
controller,( if it has one), and putting your new IDE CDR on the
secondary channel.

Try to leave your main hard drive on the primary channel by itself.

HTH

Al Anger

Todays stolden tagline:
So many idiots; so few comets.