From:
Chris Louth <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 Apr 1998 09:08:58 -0700
Earl Douglass wrote:

> Good Morning to you PCBuilders!
>
> After reading the following article by Boardwatch magazine:
>
> http://www.boardwatch.com/mag/98/mar/bwm24.html
>
> I was astonished to learn of the average low connection rate by 56KFlex
> modems. I have been using Rockwell based modems in my business and home for
> the last 9 months and have always thought that the inadequate connection
> rate was based upon: 1) bad phone wiring in both my home and business, and
> 2) that my locations were too far away from the "digital source" (according
> to the Bell South techs).  My highest connection rate ever was at 34000 bps
> (using GTE, AOL and MSN as providers).
> After reading the fine (if not lengthy) article, I proceeded to go and
> purchase the new V90 USR modem, joined up with Mindspring, and test to see
> if there was a difference.....And there was!
> My first connection (same location, same wiring) with the USR modem was at
> 52000!
> I now regularly get connections at 52000, 53333 and even at (hard to
> believe) 54544!
> I also checked to see (via test downloading some files) if the connection
> reporting was accurate. Downloading a file though www.hotfiles.com (ZDNet's
> file site) before would download at an average of 3.5 kbps, now the average
> is between 5.2 and 5.5 kbps!
>
> Just a thought to any of you who are having trouble connecting at V90 speeds
> with Rockwell based modems; you might want to give X2 (now V90) a try, it
> sure worked for me!
>
> Earl Douglass

Interestingly enough, I have *heard* that out of all the specs in
k56flex and x2, all but one spec from kflex was chosen to be part of
v.90. k56flex was apparently easily extensible to 64k reception anyway,
which is another interesting point.

Your results are probably due to the fact that you now have a USR modem,
(not a Motorola modem) rather than having v.90 (not kflex).

--
Chris Louth - [log in to unmask] - Omegan Adept Dragon -=UDIC=-
ICQ UIN: 1553228          _\|/_  S'imr-Li on UO Pacific