From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Apr 1998 17:13:30 -0400
On Tue, 21 Apr 1998, Kent Multer wrote:

> Todd, thanks for the great summary -- you hit a bunch of key points very
> concisely.

You're welcome.

> Ray, I'm curious as to what's your take on this?  It seems to contradict
> one of the basic points of your book, by stating that maybe some people
> actually *have* evolved the ability to eat non-paleo foods in a mere 10,000
> years.

I don't know Ray's take on this, but in a way it's *obvious* that
some people have evolved the ability to thrive on non-paleo
foods.  The Japanese are the longest-lived people on the planet
and, although their diet is quite different from most Western
diets, it includes plenty of non-paleo items, such as rice, soy,
and noodles.  The Swiss are also quite long-lived, despite a diet
high in dairy products, especially cheeses.  The celebrated
"Mediterranean" diet makes use of goat cheese and whole-grain
flours.  At least *some* ovo-lacto vegetarians enjoy long and
healthy lives (as, in fact, John Harvey Kellogg did), even though
many seemingly encounter problems.

The problem is knowing *who* can handle these foods, and who
cannot.  Is blood type really a marker, or are adaptations
randomly distributed in the population?

Todd Moody