From:
Mahesh Shah <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Feb 1998 09:30:13 -0600
Hello Mary!

How do we avoid excreting too much calcium? I read on Raw Foods that high
protein diets make one excrete lots of calcium.
[Mahesh Shah]  You avoid it by avoiding a high protein diet. Contemporary
eskimo have  avery high osteoporosis rate. Their ancestors ate the bones of
the fish, which is not practiced as much at present.

Research has shown that cow'smilk, when fed to human adults, even though
high in calcium, can cause a net calcium loss from the body because of its
high protein content. The conventional american diet may not have a
deficiency of calcium, but rather an excess of protein.

Do we ensure that we do not excrete too much calcium by also making sure we
eat enough fat?(to counterbalance the protein)
[Mahesh Shah]  If there is research to support the above, I would like to
know about it.
The Raw Foods post also mentioned stress on the kidneys from too much
protein.
[Mahesh Shah]  That is true. In fact, patients with kidney trouble or on
dialysis are advised to go a low protein diet.
    Does anyone else worry about this??
[Mahesh Shah]  I do. While the high protein diet may cause a short term
weight loss, as a long term term strategy it is unproven. I also am
concerned about the conventional sources of meat protein with its attendant
pesticide, hormone and anti-biotic residues. Raw meat also has problems of
parasites.