From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Oct 1997 07:46:45 -0500
On Thu, 30 Oct 1997, Paul F. Getty wrote:

> >Paul, could you suggest some soluble fiber supplements by name? Most of
> >what I have seen seem to be bran based. Is psyllium an example?
> >
> >Michael Kern
> >
> >----------
> I use the product from Rexall called Bios Life 2, which is not sold in
> stores but by "network marketing".  There is a page on the internet from
> Rexall about it.  I found it using Altavista.  I buy mine from a coworker.
> This fiber is based on guar gum and something else, and is mostly soluble.

There is also a product called Pro-Fibe that uses mainly
grapefruit pectin.  There are any number of psyllium-based
soluble fiber products, most of which also contain sugar to make
them more palatable.  One that doesn't contain sugar (or
aspartame) is Konsyl, available in drug stores.  I delivers about
20g of fiber per tablespoon, about 2/3 of which is soluble fiber.

My experience has been that if you increase your soluble fiber
intake you must also increase your insoluble fiber intake, or you
will have problems with constipation.  From a natural diet
standpoint, this makes sense, since one would not normally be
able to increase one without increasing the other.

Todd Moody