NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
D Jacobs <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Feb 1999 14:46:08 -0600
Kristin T Hulling wrote:
> 2) When retesting to see if the allery still exists what food should
> you try first? (My pediatrician said yogurt, allergist said milk or
> cheese.) And how long do you wait before you see a reaction?

If the allergist suggests trying milk, maybe he would do a milk challenge in
the office where you wait several hours for a reaction.  Maybe he wants to
retest first.  Regarding yogurt, I imagine it's possible he could tolerate yogurt
but not milk.... but probably not the other way around.

> 3) If he is still allergic to milk, what should he be drinking?  I have
> tried regular soy milk but he hates it...he is still on soy formula, but
> I'm afraid he should be off of it by now (not to mention the cost!)

If his only allergy is to milk I don't know why he needs either soy milk or
formula at age 3.  My son is almost two and drinks calcium fortified OJ
instead... the calcium in soy and rice milks are added (not naturally present)
anyways.  You need to look at fat and protein contents, these are generally
pretty low in soy/rice products compared to whole milk.  If he eats a variety
of other foods he may not need these from a milk substitute.  The soy infant
formula he is still drinking is fortified with iron, vitamin D and many other
vitamins... a multi vitamin covers those for us (Poly Vi Sol with Iron).  By the
way, cow's milk is not a source of iron at all, it actually contributes to iron
loss from the body.

Occasionally I add a bit off soy formula powder to my son's juice when he
wants to just drink a meal to try and get some protein in him.  But when I
looked closely at Isomil I see it really doesn't have that large of an amount
(2.45 g / 5 oz).