NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kathryn M Przywara <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 Feb 1999 18:11:38 -0800
On Sat, 20 Feb 1999 10:55:20 EST Carrie Berner <[log in to unmask]>
writes:

>I would like to hear from any other mothers who had an infant with milk
>allergy. The doctors say many babies outgrow this by 1year. I am
wondering if
>you were able to continue breastfeeding or if you switched to formula.
If so
>how did this work out for the baby?

We figured out the milk intolerance/allergy by the time Alyssa was 2
months old.  We also figured out several other food allergies over the
next year.  I eliminated dairy and the other offending substances from my
diet for the rest of the 13 months that I nursed her.  When she started
to wean herself around 11 months, I tried some soy formula which she
promptly spit across the kitchen floor :-)  Actually, it's a good thing,
because we later discovered a corn allergy which would have been a
disaster with most formulas.

At around 11 months, I started introducing regular soy milk since the
formula didn't go over really well.  This was actually how we found the
corn allergy because one we tried had corn in it.  As long as I was
partially nursing past 12 months, the doctor did not care about formula
vs. soy milk.   She was also a very good eater.  Just don't use a low fat
soy milk (or rice milk or whatever).  They need the fat.

She is now almost 2 (next month, yeah!) and still shows signs of all of
the intolerances.  I haven't done any recent challenges on dairy - this
is the easiest one for us to avoid since I developed an even more severe
reaction after weaning her and reintroducing into my diet.  With some of
the other, we do "calculated risk" exposure because some are just so hard
to avoid.  None of her problems are of the anaphalactic nature and none
showed up on skin tests.  All were figured out based on suspicion,
elimination, and challenge.

Just our experience,
Kathy P.

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]