CHOMSKY Archives

CHOMSKY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Blarne Flinkard <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Blarne Flinkard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 Feb 1998 20:05:26 -0800
Ya see! It's not just me, it's Chomksy, too. He's clearly indicated that
the interesting front is the psychological one.

"For me, the topic of inquiry is not the noises that you and I are making.
That's just a way of helping us get to the topic of inquiry and learn
something about it. The topic of inquiry is: what's going on in our
minds?"
                                                -- Noam Chomsky

Recently, under the subject of "To Noam Is To Hate Him" I posted the views
of Robert Godwin on the deep psychology of politics, presented mostly in
his own words and with references. Godwin has begun striving to accomplish
the Chomskian injunction stated above (see post for details) as have
others. For example,...

Subsequently, I found some great cartoons on the web that lampooned social
relations and the petty & irrational motives of power and authority
present in our society. Since Chomsky's goals include investigating and
rooting out unjustifiable authority, I shared the find with the on-line
Chomksy community. Those who bothered to look at the Wolvertoon found
wickedly funny and insightful single-panelled comics revealing what is
actually going on people's minds. Below I include some titles and textual
content.  To fully appreciate them, however, they must be seen:

title: Male-Dominated Organizations
heading: Inside the Reasoning Process in the Board Rooms of Male-Dominated
Organizations
sign: neanderthal corporation
the scene: three men in suits rubbing there chins around a conference
table
thought bubble: We MUST be in CONTROL! We FEAR LOSS of CONTROL! (I CAN'T
let these other guys know that my WIFE is in control at home)  and we
CERTAINLY CAN'T let WOMEN get CONTROL of our organization! Besides, if GOD
wanted WOMEN in CONTROL, he would've given them HIGHER I.Q.'s, GREATER
LONGEVITY, and ADMISSION to SOUTHERN MILITARY ACADEMIES! But what the
HECK...WE'RE in CONTROL and WE'RE gonna KEEP it that way!

title/heading: Sadamapologetics
the scene: Saddam talking to us
saying: I ASK you--HOW can I stockpile WEAPONS OF MASS DESTRUCTION with
all these U.N. INSPECTORS snooping about? And HOW can I DOMINATE the
Middle East WITHOUT weapons of mass destruction? HEY--AMERICAN
politicians, executives, military and religious leaders are DRIVEN by a
NEED TO DOMINATE! Why can't *I* dominate, too? It's just not FAIR!

title: Queue Power
heading: Inside the Reasoning Process of People Unprepared for the
Bankteller
the scene: angry people behind an old woman at a bankteller window
thinking: WHOAA! What a RUSH! All these stupid schmucks are waiting for
ME! OOOH, the POWER!
but saying: Gracious! Where IS that pesky checkbook??

title: Defenestration Justification
heading: Inside the Reasoning Process of People Who Throw Trash from Cars
the scene: man throwing fast-food derived trash out the window of his car
thought bubble: I AM neatness personified...I MUST keep my car interior
CLEAN. The WORLD, however, is my WASTEBASKET!...Let one of those bleeding
heart HIGHWAY CLEANUP GROUPS take care of it...that's what they get PAID
for...

title: Tardy Bosses
heading: inside the reasoning process of bosses who arrive LATE to
meetings THEY CALL...
the scene: the boss striding outside a conference room of angry employees
thought bubble: SURE...15 PEOPLE waited a HALF HOUR for ME! It cost the
company at least *$150* in TIME..and I've RUINED everyone's ATTITUDE! But
it's WORTH it...to SHOW I'M in CHARGE! I NEED to be in charge! I must
DOMINATE I MUST WIELD AUTHORITY!

Then, this morning, I found some provocative and downright audacious, if
not simply outrageous, ideas regarding what's going on in our minds
sitting in my email box. Without endorsing them, I will share them in this
forum in three parts under the title "Birth Trauma and the roots of
social psychology".