VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

"VICUG-L: Visually Impaired Computer Users' Group List" <[log in to unmask]>
From:
Ren Wang <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Feb 1998 09:36:48 -0500
You are the only person who know best about your capability. If you know
you may drop food, why did you still want it. There are probably someone
who could manage that and likes to take that dish. So eleminate or
abbreviate the menu was an insult to the blind people because we are not
as disabled as they thought.

On the other hand, when any of us stays among the sighted people, he/she
should always reduce the possibilities that our disability is openly
exposed or cause any inconvenience to the other sighted people. I agree
that ACB should never have business with that hotel.

In the other words, how did the manager of that hotel came out that
idea to abbreviate the menu? He might imagine the disability of
blind people; or perhaps he had sought some blind who messed up
food. If that's case, we should always be careful about our
appearance. Please remember to look at the person whom you talk to even
though you can not see at all. Things like that also can cause some
discrimination because someone, who do not know blind people, always get
your respect from your eyes.

Ren Wang