Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
"John C. Pavao" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Nov 1997 13:53:37 -0500
That was me.  It is the fat that is preserving it.  That's why you
double-render the fat; to remove all of the water that's in the fat.  As an
experiment, leave a small portion of double-rendered fat on your kitchen
counter.  Tell me how long it takes to spoil.  I've had a half a pan of it
sitting on my stove for weeks and it's just fine.  But the fact that the
meat is dry also helps preserve it, because spoiling germs need water to
work with.

Once the pemmican is complete, there's no problem with keeping it in the
refridgerator.  In fact, it might not be a bad idea, as I had a batch go
moldy on me over a few weeks (I forgot about it).  But I'll bet that part
of the problem was that the meat wasn't dry enough when I added the fat.

Take care,
John Pavao

----------
Dear Micke,

Is it the fat that is preserving it, or the drying? Someone else on the
list
told me NOT to put it in the fridge overnight before adding fat, as it
would
add water.

Anyway, in the future, I am starting all my batches early, to avoid having
to even make this decision.

Now, do you think the batch is safe, where I did leave it overnight in an
airtight container but not refrigerated??

Another reason for making it is it is easily digested,  digested mostly in
the stomach, it does not feed bad bacteria and yeast, would be a good food
for someone with a candida problem.

Also, if you fed a schizophrenia patient on this exclusively, the diagnosis
would go away, at least until the person ate starch again!