Date:
Mon, 26 Jan 1998 01:42:18 EST

I received additional responses on what gel is and how it should be used; this
summary should be added to what was sent before.

A professional mix maker from a recognized company selling GF mixes recommends
the addition of one tablespoon of Knox unflavored gelatin to a loaf of bread
to increase the moisture and decrease the crumbliness; this gelatin is in
addition to rather than instead of the xanthan/guar gum. I tried this
recommendation by adding the gelatin to a loaf of bread machine white bread
from Hagman's book; the difference in texture was very subtle, but the bread
was moister than it usually is.

Another responder recommended the use of a tablespoon of Sure Jel, the pectin
that is used to make jam and jelly. I cannot eat corn products; therefore I
was unable to use any of the powdered forms of pectin available in my market,
but I did buy a package of Certo, a liquid product which contains no corn.
Again, the gel is in addition to the xanthan gum. The texture of the bread was
dramatically different and most people would consider it better; it toasted
more evenly than bread without pectin. But it is not cheaper than gum because
it is used in addition to it, and it is expensive; further, each of the two
envelopes in a package contains about four tablespoons of the pectin, a
storage is a nuisance. People able to use powdered forms of pectin will have a
lower price and no storage problem.

George