From:
Mary Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 Apr 1998 09:07:09 -0400

Hi list,

What works as a flour substitute when making a stew?

Last night I tried some Arrowhead Mills pancake flour mix (am I wrong in
thinking this is an all-=purpose flour substitute?) in making a lamb
shoulder braised in red wine last night - i.e., brown the lamb, sprinkle in
the flour and brown for a few minutes, then add the braising liquid and let
it simmer for a couple of hours.

Failure: the braising liquid did not even remotely thicken.

Of course corn starch mixed with a little water and stirred in at the end
would do the cosmetic job of thickening the thing, but the consistency
isn't the same and it really doesn't do the same job.

These experiments are too costly to continue indefinitely. Any help will be
most appreciated.

Mary Brown
NYC