From:
Laura Dolson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Apr 1998 17:05:09 -0400

1) Almost everyone mentioned finding a local support group.  The impression is
that when you can get info from the net, the support group aspect takes center
stage, with people who you can get together with for pot lucks, comparing
notes on where to get stuff, etc.

2) Most found their local groups through CSA/USA, which, I got the impression,
was the main reason this was the organization people were most often members
of.  This group also drew the most criticism, though.  Most often cited were
their dietary recommendations, which were seen by some as overly-restrictive.

3) GIG (Gluten Intolerance Group of North America) was second most often cited
as the organization of choice, some feeling they got better advice than from
CSA.

4) Celiac Disease Foundation was most liked by people who live in the LA area
and could go to their meetings.  Also, a couple of people who were only
members of one organization felt that this one does the most good for celiacs,
mostly in the form of education to the medical community.

5) No one mentioned American Celiac Society.  I don't think.  Unless I got
them mixed up with CSA, as I was not on top of the acronyms until I was 1/3 of
the way through the responses.  :-(

6) Quite a few mentioned that they get just as good info from the net as from
the organizations, except for the lists of GF manufactured foods.  But many
felt strongly about supporting organizations that help celiacs.

7) Others, though, subscribe to newsletters and find them helpful as well,
particularly Gluten-Free Living and one that is called something like Gluten
Free Baker (the writer wasn't sure), and other local newsletters.

Contact information for these organizations can be found at:

http://rdz.stjohns.edu/lists/celiac/rel-dis.html

Thanks to everyone who wrote to me.

Laura