From:
"C. Hammelrath" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 30 Aug 1997 13:32:35 -0700

Thank to all the wonderful folks who responded RE: coldsores - here's a
summary:
1. Herpes simplex virus causes cold sores - the virus is always within
us once we have had a herpes ailment...i.e.chicken pox.
2. L-Lysine tablets taken daily plus use an L-Lysine cream for topical
application (check to be sure it is GF)
3. Eat hi-lysine foods:fish,etc.
4. Avoid hi arganine foods: nuts, etc.
5. Maintain a balance of lysine and arganine in the diet.
6. Vitamins B-12 and E deficiency contribute to sores in the corner of
the mouth that resemble cold sores. (I have not had these since going GF
either!)
7. Brand name "Zovirax" (acyclovir) medical treatment that helps greatly
- (I do not know if this requires a prescription - I think so.)
THERE IS NO CURE - just treatment.
8. NEVER forget, cold sores are highly contagious!!! Keep hands off them
as you can spread the virus all over yourself and others!
9. SUN SUN SUN SUN SUN SUN - too much of this stresses the body and can
cause the cold sores - almost every message included SUN EXPOSURE as a
trigger AWA above normal STRESS in one's life.

       Again - thank you all - it has been most helpful and my daughter
will now cut down on sun exposure and do L-Lysine daily as her first
assault on this problem.    Catherine