Date:
Sat, 11 Jul 1998 09:02:10 -0700

REGARDING FANATICISM IN OUR DIETS:

        I too have begun to question this. However, this was on a personal
level.  I have often wondered if I am too hard on myself when it comes to
avoiding gluten in foods.

A GF diet has so very much improved the quality of my life that I AM
paranoid about ingesting anything which may in any way reduce this effect.
So much so that ... I then end up in situations which are also detrimental
to my health.

Yesterday I was caught without my usual backup supply of munchies. I tried
to find something, anything, that was safe to eat.  NO LUCK.  No one could
tell me, to my own personal safty and satisfaction limit, what was in their
foods.  I then ended up having a low blood sugar attack and ended up at the
See's counter looking for a sugar fix.  ( found some helpful news about
See's BTW, but will post separately)

I do eat some of the "forbidden" grains such as quinoa, amaranth, teff, to
name a few, yet will put myself into a low sugar health risk over unknown
ingredients.

In the end I believe it comes down to a personal choice about what we
consider to be safe and unsafe.  If this makes us paranoid, oh well.
However, should others (non celiac's) label us as such, it does make me
wonder if they are being unecissarily hard in their judgement of us.  Would
they say the same thing to a diabetic, or someone who suffers from
anaphilactic shock to food allergens when they get picky about ingredients?
Probably not.

Bonnie these are very good questions you raise.  Thank you for making us
think and consider how we treat ourselves.
Sincerely,

Lynda Swink
\*/ Mailto:[log in to unmask] \*/ Southern California \*/\*/ _@v